Having a glass insert in your exterior door can be very beautiful and add a certain “wow” factor to a house, when it is maintained and kept clean. When your exterior door glass insert is broken or gets dirt and dust up inside the glass insert, it can look very sloppy and needs to be replaced. Now you can call and have a serviceman come out to do your exterior door glass insert replacement, or you can simply replace the glass yourself! Most of the tools needed for this project you will find in your home already, all you will really need is the exterior door replacement glass insert. Just follow these simple steps to do an exterior door glass insert replacement and you will save a few bucks on service charges!
Tools You Will Need for Exterior Door Glass Insert Replacement
- Flathead screwdriver
- Phillips Head Screwdriver/Drill
- Work Gloves
- Tape measure
- Caulk/Caulk Gun
- Metal putty knife
Removing Old Exterior Door Glass Insert
- The first step is to take the door off the hinges
- Remove all the screws around the exterior of the door.
- Now remove the door frame and expose the exterior door glass insert
- With your putty knife scrape off any remaining caulk from around the frame
- Now remove the exterior door glass insert and dispose of it
Installing New Exterior Door Glass Insert Replacement
Before doing any of the next steps, double check and make sure that your exterior door glass insert replacement is the right size and will properly fit in the door insert.
- Gently lay the exterior door glass insert replacment down in the door insert
- Now, with your caulk gun, caulk the outer layer of the door frame and place it on top of the door where it meets the glass insert
- Flip the door over and take the other piece of the frame and set it over the glass
- Make sure the door is together and looks proper, then take the screws and screw the frame back together
- Now your door is finished, put it back on the hinges and it’s ready to go
Now you know how to replace your exterior glass insert! For everything you’ll need to repair doors on your own, give DIY Door Store a call at 888-998-3667!